Email marketing has been the most significant way for marketers to reach their customers from anywhere. It has made communication a lot easier and quicker with customers. However, driving sales and retaining customers through this communication channel demands strategic planning, consistency, and a long–term game plan. A well-designed email marketing strategy merged with email marketing software could do wonders for business enterprises.
But despite all the efforts, some organizations still don’t get their marketing campaign right and firmly believe that email marketing is dead.
So what are the reasons that, for some companies, email marketing campaigns fail while for others, it works wonders?
The answer lies in the approach marketers choose for email marketing and the strategy they adopt to target the audience. There are endless resources and technologies such as email marketing software and email management software available in the market. These software solutions automate marketing activities and help to target customers at a rapid pace. It offers a competitive edge and optimizes marketers’ efficiency. Analyzing business priorities and using these resources accordingly can be a differentiator for marketers in running marketing campaigns successfully.
But simply implementing these technology stacks is not enough. Identifying the root cause of campaign failure and then utilizing these tools mindfully can help marketers to get desired results.
- Not targeting the right audience: Unresponsive emails from customers can disappoint business enterprises and force them to think about their products. But not getting customer response does not mean the product is not a market fit, it is more likely that marketers are not approaching the right customers. Identifying the right customers is the foremost thing that marketers need to do to make marketing campaigns responsive.
- Not drafting relevant email: It is a privilege to have access to customers’ email, but many companies fail to make the best use of it. In addition to that, spammers and hackers have forced many customers to not respond to marketing emails. It is a huge obstacle for genuine marketers to reach their customer base and convert them into potential buyers. For marketers, it is necessary that they stand out from the rest by drafting relevant and personalized emails to get the customers’ attention. Besides that, it is essential that marketers send emails at a time when they are more likely to open or respond.
- Not mapping the email marketing efforts: Despite being proactive in marketing campaigns, many companies do not get satisfactory results. One reason is that business enterprises cannot detect the fault-line in their marketing campaign. It is because they do not map their email marketing efforts on a regular basis and see what is working for them and what is not. Without knowing that business enterprises cannot adjust or make changes to their marketing campaign required for its effectiveness.
- Not organized: Companies that are running multiple email marketing campaigns need to be very organized to ensure that campaigns are not overlapping each other and they don’t send the wrong email to customers. There is nothing more annoying for customers than receiving emails that are not meant for them.
- Low marketing budget: Email marketing is a long and continuous process. Companies that have a limited budget have to be strategic in running email marketing campaigns so that they can do more with less.
- Not investing in email automation tools: Companies that see email marketing tools as an expense and resist investing in them cannot optimize their email marketing campaigns.
If companies are struggling with their email marketing strategy, it could be one of the reasons mentioned above, or they have not enhanced their email marketing strategy to match current trends. For such organizations restructuring email marketing strategy and implementing email marketing automation tools can be an ideal way to achieve their marketing goals. Email marketing automation brings a whole new dimension to email marketing and targeting audiences.
- Automatically sends email/drip campaigns: There was a time when marketers used to select email lists from a manually maintained spreadsheet, and send them to customers randomly. It is a lengthy, tedious, and less effective way to connect with customers. But with email marketing automation, business enterprises can determine when and how many emails they want to send. The tool allows managing email lists and automatically sending emails at the scheduled time. Business owners can schedule email marketing campaigns to pop up at a definite time and date; they can even target customers on behavior-based, transaction-based, loyalty-based, etc. It saves marketers’ a lot of time and increases the email response rate. It gives marketers an opportunity to continuously engage customers and fine-tune marketing strategies.
- Customize email marketing campaign: For email marketing campaigns, not one size fits all, and companies can customize email marketing campaigns to their needs and priorities. For instance, users can customize email marketing campaigns based on the customers’ actions or trigger points. A trigger point could be visiting the website, purchasing a product, or subscribing to a newsletter, etc. Customize e-mail marketing campaign gives far better control over marketing activities and close deals with the target audience.
- Audience segmentation: Segmented email marketing campaigns help to reach the right audience and increase the email click-through rate. Marketers can segment customers through location, buying history, age, gender, etc. The email marketing tool helps in filtering the targeted audience and updates the customers’ data automatically whenever there is some change.
- A/B test email workflow automation: New generation email marketing automation software allows A/B test the email workflow automation. It helps users to figure out which workflow automation is working for them and select the best out of it.
- Automatically tracks email marketing campaign performance: Email marketing software automatically tracks the marketing campaign performance such as delivery status, open and click rates, unsubscribe information, etc. It helps to identify the weak zones in marketing campaigns and get the most out of email marketing.
- Auto-follow ups: Taking follow-ups is an important aspect of email marketing campaigns to get feedback or recommend other products. With the help of an email automation tool, users can automate the follow-up activity.
As per Statista, the global email marketing revenue was valued at 7.5 billion dollars, and it would increase to 17.9 billion by 2027. As per McKinsey, email is still a more effective way to acquire customers than social media. All these statistics signify the value of email in marketing and business enterprises is on a continuous rise. However, in the rapidly evolving business trends, marketers need to be more strategic in approaching customers and think beyond batch-and-blast email marketing tactics. Email marketing automation tool paves the path for marketers to become more efficient and effective in marketing. It supports developing more compelling and creative campaigns that exhibit high response rates.